Tuesday, September 8, 2015

New Series: Quotables

So for those of you who haven't been watching the Instagram account (@treadingwords), I have started a new series. They're called the Quotables, and they sprang out of a GISHWHES item. One of the items was to create a beautiful tribute to Leonard Nimoy. Now, being me, I couldn't just film my kid do an interpretive dance wearing pointy ears. I had to make something special. So I decided to make a painting of Nimoy as his most famous character, Spock, and inscribe the painting with quotes from both Nimoy and Spock. Here's how it turned out:


I got a nice response to the piece, and I thought maybe someday I would make more. Then all of a sudden, it was Ray Bradbury's birthday, so I decided to make one for him as well.


It then occurred to me that these might make a good series. I had already made two pieces of art featuring personalities that I considered to be creative and spiritual mentors, so I decided to carry on with that theme. I decided to make them all related to speculative fiction. Of course, Obi-Wan had to be next.


And in my estimation, directly after Ray comes Neil Gaiman:


Each piece is 16x20 inches, acrylic on canvas. The first three I did the quotes in ink, but they'll be entirely paint from now on.

So now the series is growing... has grown, into two separate beasts. I was calling it my Quotables: Mentors series, but I am dividing it now between Mentors and Creators. So the one series will feature film/show mentors (ones that are meaningful to me, but I will consider suggestions), and the other will feature creators (again, creators that have had an impact on me).

For now, the mentors and creators will spring from speculative fiction, that is, characters who appear in shows/films with a fantastic element (sci-fi, fantasy, or what I would consider urban myth), or creators who have had a hand in shaping the speculative fiction genre. After these first two series, I will move on to heroes, villains, and companions. There are countless sources to mine for characters, so these will keep me busy for a while.

If you would like prints, visit the Etsy store here. More will be added weekly. Also, the original paintings will be for available for sale.

I finished the portrait part of a new mentor a few hours ago, so I will be adding the quotes later today. Follow me on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for chances to win prints of the finished pieces.

2 comments:

  1. These are awesome!!! I love you and your brilliance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching and commenting, Lucy. <3

      Delete

What do you think?