Wednesday, April 15, 2015

New Sci-Fi Short Story up on Patreon!

The new short story is up on Patreon! This week it's straight-up science fiction. 

Here 's a preview!



Shiva

A Dreamscapes Story
by Alicia VanNoy Call

“The gods came on swift feet,
to fold the scroll of their creation.”
~ Shariq Tahar, Poet, Colony Trimurti, 3841

A falcon swooped before our skiff that morning – silhouetted black for an instant, outstretched wings against the expanse of dunes and sky. Alia yelped, startling me, but I gripped the wheel with barely a wobble. The bird veered aside, missing the viewport shield by finger widths. Alia swung around in her seat to see if it had fallen into our wake.

“Bad luck, Ebrahim,” she said.

“Only bad if we hit it,” I said.

“I dreamed of Shiva,” she said, sitting back. The words were quiet, almost to herself.

It was just after sunsrise, the triad climbing fast; soon the sky would be taut and bright as hammered bronze. We zipped over the sand.

“Busy today,” said Alia. We could already see the bright canopies of the bazaar in the distance. The crowds of buyers and sellers, packed into the narrow avenue between stone buildings.

We set down in the port across from the bazaar. Alia raised her veil while I gathered our packs, water skins, slinging everything over my shoulders.

She stopped me at the bottom of the ramp.

“Ebrahim,” she said. Her kohl-rimmed eyes darted across the shadowed hanger bay. One hand clutched my sleeve.


“Forget the hawk,” I told her. “It's a day like any other.”

To read the rest, visit the Fictions and Dreamscapes project on Patreon. If you like it, consider becoming a patron! Only $1.50 more per story and artwork set and we'll reach our first funding goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?