Wednesday, March 11, 2015

New Dreamscapes Story - Horror - Patreon

The new Dreamscapes story is up on Patreon. This week it's horror. You might say it's light horror, because, as with most of my horror stories, there's only a glimpse of horror. Just a little taste. Just enough to make you shiver.

Here is a preview.




Well
A Dreamscapes Story

by Alicia VanNoy Call


“Devil's in the well,” says Rhoda.

She says it over breakfast while she forks two pancakes. She adds a slice of bacon, a fried egg from the pile, and drenches syrup over the lot.

I freeze in mid-pour, Brad's glass filling as I stare at her.

“Mom,” says Brad. I look back. Orange juice is just cresting the rim. I pull the pitcher away.

“Sorry,” I mutter.

I push at the window to let out the smell of burnt bacon, the lingering haze of smoke. The window always sticks and I grunt a little. When it finally slides open, I wave my hand in front of my face. I was distracted during the last batch.

Rhoda stuffs a wedge of pancakes into her mouth.

“That's too much, sweetie,” I tell her.

She grins, cheeks full.

I pull her plate across the table and slice her pancakes into pieces. I accidentally split the yolk. Yellow viscous fluid pools. Brad sips at the edge of his glass, eyes on a fly that buzzed in.

“What were you saying about the well?” I ask her.

She taps her fingers on the checkered tablecloth. Still chewing.

“The Devil is in the well,” she says. A glob of syrup sits at the corner of her lip. It glistens. “I saw him.”

Want to read the rest? Head on over to the project page on Patreon and read it for free. If you like it, consider becoming a patron!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?