Thursday, March 12, 2015

Blog Tour - My Writing Process

So Liz Hedgecock asked me to participate in a Writing Process Blog Tour. I had done a round in a blog tour a couple of years ago, but I had no idea until just now that it was the same one. It's still going. How cool is that? Anyway, I told Liz I would do it, and since some of the answers will be different now, I suppose it's okay to do it again. I met Liz through the flash fiction circuit, and she's a great writer and a lovely person. Here's her blog.

The post will be illustrated with images from my Sickfish Stories. Cuz every post needs images, right?

Here are the questions:

1. What are you working on right now?




As usual, I have a bajillion projects. Here they are in no particular order:

  • The Fictions & Dreamscapes project. This is a Patreon series, illustrated speculative-fiction short stories.
  • The Apocalyptic Nursery Rhymes. I post these when I have time.
  • Querying my first novel, The Angel Room, contemporary literary YA.
  • Drafting my second novel, HOR1ZON, sci-fi YA.
  • A new series, Nerfherder Haiku. Fandom-based micro-poetry.
  • Various flash fictions per week.
  • I dust off the SickFish Stories once a year and add 30 or so new illustrations in October.


2. How does it differ from other works in its genre?



All of my works have a dark flavor, even the funny ones. Read this cool review of my book Quicksilver Breach on Amazon and you'll get an idea of what sets my work apart. Everything I write puts things a little off-kilter. Even things set in fantasy worlds are close enough to normal to feel familiar, but far enough off to feel uncomfortable.

3. Why do you write what you do?


Because my brain won't shut up. I just write what's kicking around upstairs and it's all in the speculative fiction arena. I have a hard time being satisfied with just one thing, since I'm a visual artist as well, so I dance around in different genres and projects. I just write what feels RIGHT.

4. How does your writing process work?


Sometimes I feel like Dennis here. As any writer does, I spend a lot of time in my own head. Even when I'm with other people, in a public setting, or engaged in other activities, my brain is filing things away to use later in a story. There's a sweet little indie coffee shop around the corner from my house, so I go there to work several times a week. It's good to get out of the house and let the sun shine on you every once in a while.

Apocalyptic Nursery Rhymes: I write the verses first, and then I do an illustration.

Sickfish Stories: It's a toss-up as to which will come first, words or images.

Flash fiction: I'll look at the prompt (various websites run FF contests every week), turn on my jam (currently dubstep and trance electro) and pound out the story until it's finished. When I work on the illustration for Dreamscapes, I listen to some show on Netflix. Currently it's Bones. No, wait, I just finished season 9 last night, so I'm going to be listening to something new. Any suggestions?

Short fiction: I'll look at my story list and pick an idea, then turn on my jam and get to work.

Novel WIP: I turn on my jam, open www.ilys.com, and set a word-count goal. Usually something between 2,000 and 4,000 words. I write without being able to see the words (Check out ilys. Seriously.) and when I reach the goal, I paste the words into my .doc and save it. I haven't read through my WIP yet. I'm just moving forward. Which is something I had a very hard time doing on my first book. Now, thanks to ilys, it's easy. That sounded a lot like a paid testimonial. It's not. I just really like ilys.

I've actually been writing a lot on my phone, which seemed an alien thing to do at first, but now it feels very natural. The only thing I write by hand now are quick notes, journaling, and correspondence. I take a lot of photos and make a lot of sketches and read a lot of books. Like a LOT. Sometimes I think I read too much.

So that's it for my current process.


Below are the awesome authors who will be continuing this lovely blog tour. Go check out their work while you wait with bated breath to find out the secrets to their success. (Hint: The secret is hard work, dedication, and a little splash of genius.)

Ayrich Mutch: I met Ayrich what seems forever ago when I was going to school in Utah. His debut novel, a conspiracy/espionage thriller, Miranda, came out last year. His blog hasn't been updated in a WHILE, since his super-writer alter-ego fights crime by night and he's a busy busy business man during the day, but he promised to write a process post for us.

Taya Okerlund: I met Taya at WIFYR. She a soft-spoken, intelligent, and kind person. Her debut novel, Hurricane Coltrane, will be out next month. I got to read a portion of the manuscript last year and it is excellent. It's currently available for pre-order!

Jay Fosgitt: I met Jay almost ten years ago on deviantART. Wow, that's a long time. I've been following and supporting his work ever since. His current main project, graphic novel Bodie Troll is brilliant. Jay is one of those rare people who are equally comfortable in both the writing and illustrating realms, and the clever stories from his Necronomicomics, Dead Duck, and Bodie Troll are evidence of that.





2 comments:

  1. Loved everything about this post, and most especially you!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?