Thursday, March 13, 2014

Book Reviews - February 2014

RASL by Jeff Smith

This brilliant graphic novel features an interdimensional-travelling art thief, Tesla technology, and an fascinating study of choices, consequences, and the human condition. Ever since Bone, I have been a fan of Jeff Smith's. And while Bone is delightfully appropriate for the discerning child (my kids loved it), RASL is not appropriate for younger audiences. Jeff Smith is a multiple Eisner winner, and he deserves all the positive press he can get. A fantstic artist and an imaginative writer who has worked long and hard to polish his craft, Jeff Smith is everything I aspire to be.

Warnings on: Violence, sexual situations, language? (I can't remember. I should take notes.)





Pure by Julianna Baggott

I'm so glad I found this book. I asked at Changing Hands for a new YA novel. After explaining my tastes and what I've already read, the bookseller went into the fiction section (this book is not shelved under YA, which I think is a crime. How are young adults going to find this book at their local bookstore if it's not shelved in their section?) and pulled down Pure.

This book is gorgeous. The prose is delicious, the imagery is haunting, and the characters are satisfying. Pure is a post-apocalyptic dystopian, with clear elements of both. It's actually extremely creepy, which I like. The world building is excellent.

I'd like to hear what others think of this book. While I wasn't happy to find out it's a series (you know I like a story that begins and ends in one volume), the plus is that it's already completed, so I don't have to wait. I am currently reading the sequel, Fuse. Pure comes from me to you highly recommended.

Warnings on: violence, disturbing imagery.



The Internet is a Playground by David Thorne

This book made me laugh. There's something to be said for mindless entertainment. Which this is. David Thorne might be the snarkiest human being on the planet. Well, maybe there are snarkier ones, but he's the most eloquent. Thorne's most popular literary stunts are legitimate email conversations between he publishes on his website. Here's a sample.

This book is great to share in a group.

Warnings on: language.







No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?