Thursday, December 5, 2013

November 2013 Book Reviews

Haven't been reading much. I read so few books this year. TOO MUCH ART.

Here's what I read last month.

 Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

On the front cover of this book, a review says, "Enchanting . . . Willy Wonka meets The Matrix." I resoundingly agree with that, if you throw in a gallon of 80's pop culture trivia and a cup of crazy post-apocalyptic-pseudo-dystopian world building and several shakes of some kind of MMORPG Starcraft, stir vigorously and inject it directly into your eyeballs. Because it felt like a movie. In my brain. Most books don't feel that way to me. This book was vivid and fearless and CRAZY. Who thinks like this? After I finished this book, I told everyone about it. My husband, my kids, my mom, the dude at the gym, random people in the grocery store. But none of them would really get it. I think only a certain generation, with certain geekery leanings will fully grasp its awesomeness. But it will be a fun romp for any YA reader.

Radical.



Wool by Hugh Howey

I ran across this book in a things-you-might-like email from Amazon. I did some research on the author, and he's one of THOSE. Like Amanda Hocking. Independently published. Now independently wealthy. Wool sprang from a short story by the same name, which ended up being the first part of the book. It's based in a post-apocalyptic world. It has most of the standbys of the genre, but the mystery and the plot are just plain fun. I listened to most of it on audio and read the rest of it on my iPad. I liked it enough to buy the sequel/prequel. If you like post-apocalyptic sci-fi, I recommend it.

Warnings on: language.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?