Monday, October 21, 2013

BLOG TOUR and Inktober - Day 21

Here's the Inktober sketch for today. Can you guess what I've been watching?


And now for the blog tour. Carol asked me to participate and I was only to happy to help her out. I love Carol and adore her books. Plus I love that she asked me, because she's so legit and it makes me kinda legit too.

Mwah, Carol!

1. What are you working on right now?

Right now, I am working on several things. At first I was going to type, The Novel. But then I realized I have started working on a children's book in my head. Plus I'm finishing up illustrations on the second short story anthology, Quicksilver Breach, which will soon be available on Amazon. But The Novel is first. It's the biggest project, and the one I've been working on the longest.

2. How does it differ from other works in its genre?

The novel is in a contemporary style, but it has what some people would consider a paranormal twist. It's very dark, with elements of hope. It treats sexual abuse in a way I have not seen before, and other people have told me that, so it's not just me talking. ;)  And I think it's pretty cool that I dreamed up how to write about this topic in a new, unique way.

3. Why do you write what you do?

There are stories inside of everyone. Some of the stories sleep, others stir, and then others wake roaring. The ones that roar the loudest are the ones I write down. I jump all over the place, from stories featuring young children to robots to monsters. Sometimes all three at once. I am fascinated by the human condition and how to capture it on the page.

4. How does your writing process work?

I think. A lot. Sometimes I let an idea sit in my brain for months, or even years. Luckily, there are several ideas stewing at once, so I don't have to wait five months to start working on the next one. When one feels ready, I get my computer out. I actually write every day, it just depends on which story is roaring the loudest. I turn on music. Right now, it's The Vitamin String Quartet channel on Pandora. There's something awesome about hearing Smooth Criminal pounded out on cellos. If I'm working on a short story, I'll write until the story is finished. I can't stop writing in the middle of a short story. The novel is different. It's more like a marathon.  I usually have a page goal, so I'll write until I reach that number of pages. I eat things I like while I write, so that I will be happy about sitting there. The novel is difficult and emotionally draining, so it's taking a while, but it's interesting to watch the characters interact with each other.

Look for these authors next week:

Ann Cannonhttp://anncannon.blogspot.com/ - I love Ann. She's so talented and sweet. And her book The Loser's Guide to Life and Love will make you laugh your head off.

Ginny Tilbyhttp://ginnyillustration.blogspot.com/ - Ginny is kind of adorable. And her children's book debut, You Should, You Should! is important and GREAT.

Angel Leigh McCoyhttp://www.angelmccoy.com/blog/ - I met Angel through her ezine, WilyWriters. She's a narrative designer on Guild Wars 2. She writes rad speculative fiction. One of her recent projects, the Deep Cuts horror anthology, is wonderfully terrifying. Read Beavers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?