Sunday, April 1, 2012

Book Reviews for March 2012

Dust Lands: Blood Red Road by Moira Young

This is a post-apocalyptic tale with a young adult woman named Saba as the main character.  She's an archer, she engages in battle with other young adults, she has a little sister she risks her own life to keep safe.  Oh wait, sounds like I'm talking about The Hunger Games.  But I'm not.  Katniss and Saba have a lot in common, they're both strong, female, young, surviving in a post-apocalyptic/dystopian landscape.  But the books are very different.  I Blood Red Road a lot.  Saba's voice is great.  I recommend it, especially to people who enjoyed The Hunger Games.  But don't expect it to be the same.  In my opinion, it's much more intense.  I don't want to give anything at all away.  There's romance.  Blergh.  But read it and come talk to me.  I am curious to know what you think.  This means you Kari Larsen.  I'll read the sequel.

Also, Ridley Scott optioned the rights to a Dust Lands film already.

Prose complaint: The are no quotation marks.  Yes, just like Cormac McCarthy.  Some people find this pretentious.  I just find it difficult.  After a while, you get the rhythm, but I think I'd rather not have to work so hard.

Cover complaint: she's walking without alternating her arms and legs.  The only people who walk like that are aliens on Galaxy Quest.

Warnings on: violence.

 Across the Universe by Beth Revis

This is sci-fi.  There's planetary colonization, cryogenic freezing, continuous consideration and analysis of the ship's systems.  There's also a lot of sociopolitical discussion.  And a murder mystery.  You wouldn't think these things would mix as well as they do, but as it says in the book cover, "compulsively readable."  And it really is.  I read 200 pages to Tyler as we drove down to Arizona.  He has dyslexia, so he has difficulty reading aloud.  Instead of taking a break from the book so he could have a break from driving, he drove the whole way so I could read the book out loud.

There is an interesting problem in the book that I'm not sure how Revis is going to handle.  But I am looking forward to seeing her solution.

Warnings on: sexual situations, violence, assault.  Sensitive readers beware.


Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

YA graphic novel.  This is a ghost story.  Obviously.  It's sweet and clever and creeeepy.  I heard it was creepy.  But it wasn't creepy for a long time and then it WAS.

Lovely little artwork, accessible main character and a mystery to be solved.  Isn't the cover RAD?

Warnings on: language.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?