Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Book Reviews for October

Prey by Michael Crichton

So I'm not a huge Michael Crichton fan, but I as a teen I loved Jurassic Park and The Lost World. Maybe it had something to do with my childhood love of dinosaurs. Because of my nostalgia for Jurassic Park, I thought Prey might be fun. Plus I got it at the library book sale for $1.00.

The book is about killer nano-robot swarms. It was very silly.

The end.

Warnings on: language and disturbing death scenes.








The Postman by David Brin

This novel was made into a movie with Kevin Costner. Did any of you see it? I never saw it, because I'm not a huge Kevin Costner fan. But as you know, I love post-apocalyptic books. This book had all of the mainstays of a post-apocalyptic, as well as exploring other ideas including artificial intelligence and human genetic enhancement.

The main character, Gordon, after surviving nuclear holocaust, ensuing nuclear winter and the barbarism that followed, finds himself on the verge of death. He discovers the supplies and accoutrements of a deceased postman, dons the coat to keep warm and inadvertently takes on the persona of a mail carrier. The story follows him through his travels and he ends up sowing the seeds of a Restored United States.

Warnings on: language and violence.



Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen

Cyndal gave me this book. They read it aloud in her class and she thought I would enjoy it. It's a delightful, quick read.

The eleven year-old narrator spends a summer with his cousin Harris on the Larson farm, chronicling their adventures with various barnyard residents and family members. I don't want to give anything away, but look forward to the chapters dealing with horses.

Parts of this book were laugh-out-loud funny, which is something you don't find every day. I highly recommend it.

Warnings on: nothing really. This book, set in the late 1940's, is quite innocent, with a few "damn"s thrown in (for which Harris is punished by his older sister, an occurrence that always elicits a few giggles).


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?