Monday, October 3, 2011

Book Reviews for September

Can you believe I didn't have time to read in September? With deadlines for studio classes, an art festival to get ready for (that's a whole weekend just dedicated to interacting with the public about DawgArt), the online shop to run and commissions to paint, it's ART ART ART all the time. Which isn't bad, it's just. . . I don't have time to write. At all. I mean really, all the writing I do is on Facebook. I promised Renee another essay for The Anthem Exposition, but I really don't have time for it. At the moment, I really should be painting oil portraits for class. BUT, I promised Kari a post and here it is. <3

I really shouldn't just give up on it. I have several RAD stories in development, one of which I promised to my critique group a couple of months ago. I sent out my 25 page essay Tales from the Deep to assuage them, which Christian seemed to, dare I say, enjoy (because it's not a light piece), but I should really dedicate at least a few minutes a day to this whole writing thing. Because I'm good at it, and because I have important things to say. And because every time I talk to Cyndal she asks about my book and it's kind of a bummer to say, "I haven't been working on it."

On to the review:

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

So who hasn't read this book? About ten pages in, I was very surprised that I hadn't read this book yet. It's YA fic, but I don't know that it's marketed as such, which is why I probably passed over it at first. Since YA is the genre of my current WIP manuscript, I have been trying to read a lot of it. And I'm glad I picked this up at the library book sale for fifty cents!

I adore Sue Monk Kidd's nonfiction. She is a fine writer, and I find her prose mesmerizing. The Secret Life of Bees follows fourteen-year old Lily, who is doing her best to survive tragedy and abuse within the racial tensions of the 60's.

I highly recommend this book, which is ultimately a tale of hope and healing with a lovely message about mother/daughter relationships and faith. Warnings on some language and intense thematic material including death and abuse.

2 comments:

  1. Lee, I somehow missed this post! Thank you for posting it you are awesome :) and I agree you are good at writing and you need to keep doing it! It's so hard to keep everything balanced, especially when school is so demanding, but I believe you can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you're sweet Kari. I'm glad I know you.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?