Saturday, February 5, 2011

Book Review: When You Reach me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

2010 winner of the Newbery Medal, When You Reach Me is a mystery/sci-fi tale featuring Miranda, a twelve year-old living in 1979 New York. She is the only child of a single mom and a latchkey kid to boot. As she navigates the complexities of the sixth grade, she loses friends, makes new ones and receives anonymous notes asking her to document a future event.

I don't want to give anything at all away, because a huge part of the joy is unfolding the mystery for yourself. When You Reach Me is intriguing. I spent an afternoon reading it instead of doing my homework, but my few hours spent curled on the couch did not go unrewarded. Stead crafts a believable, imaginative tale, complete with amazing details that bring the New York of her childhood to life.

This book contains no questionable material. Highly recommended!

2 comments:

  1. I adored this book! While I often feel only lukewarm about the Newbery winners, this one was well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. Thanks for stopping by Deb!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?