Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Book Review - The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paolo Cuelho

Okay, show of hands: who all has read this book? I do not doubt the moving power and universal accessibility of The Alchemist, I am just curious as to Paolo Cuelho's readership within my circle of friends. I have had The Alchemist recommended to me over the years countless times, (seriously, I can't count them) but when my husband said I should read it, I thought, "Yep, it's time."

So this is a lovely book: lovely in its simplicity, lovely in its message. There's not much art involved, but I was okay with that this time. It is a philosophical allegory in fable form. It tells the story of a young shepherd who follows the advice of a old sage, sells his flock and embarks on a physical and spiritual journey to "find his treasure". The boy discovers many things, about himself and the universe along the way, the most valuable of which is: pursue your Personal Legend and the universe will conspire to help you.

I recommend The Alchemist. It helped me to remember some important things about myself and my journey.

1 comment:

  1. i've read it! and i loved it. though i can't remember much of it now...i forget so much about books. i need to start posting about them so at least i'll remember i read them. hah.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?