Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Book Review - Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Matched is a dystopian romance. I met Ally in October and she's just really sweet. I heard rumors before this book came out about the advance that Ally got and I was like, "Whaaaa?" And people talking about how it's the next Twilight. It's hard to believe that something could live up to that amount of hype. But it does.

Here's why: Ally is a skilled world builder. I believed. The Society is scary. The scary part about is that this could actually happen. In fact, here in the United States, we're already on the path. I don't talk about politics on this blog, but I do know that intelligent writers can predict absolutely possible futures. When a society lulled into complacency by luxury and ease allows small freedoms to be taken one by one, eventually all the freedoms will be gone. This is what happens in Matched. And it's scary.

The romance doesn't interested me, but that's only a personal preference. I'm not the type of person who turns pages to find out who the heroine ends up with. But readers who like a good romantic story will. I do care about what the character decides to do with her situation. Cassia will do big things. Matched: nice minimal prose, convincing setting, lovely familial relationships. No questionable content.  I'm looking forward to the sequel. Highly recommended!

Update on Matched July 2012: Cyndal loved Matched.  She couldn't stop talking about it.  "Mom, I need more books like this.  Mom, when is the sequel coming out?"  But she hasn't been able to get into Crossed.  I need to push that book more, because the final installment is coming out this November!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?