Thursday, January 13, 2011

Book Review - The Girl Who Could Fly

The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester

Middle-grade contemporary fantasy. My daughter recommended this book to me. I've decided that I will read all books that Cyndal recommends. She's eleven and I feel like reading books she likes will give me insight to the workings of her mind.

First of all, check out the cover art. I know! I couldn't stop looking at it. It's an interesting choice, considering that it gives away some of the mystery of a villain character. But this book was adorable. Very very sweet. When the main character, Piper McCloud finds out she can fly, her parents ship her away to a school for children with powers. Stephenie Meyer said that this book is a cross between "X-Men and Little House on the Prairie", which is true.

Great fun for middle grade readers. Exciting, The Girl Who Could Fly also explores the effects of abandonment, grief, loneliness and learning to be an individual in the face of persecution. I would recommend this for 8-12 year olds (especially girsl) with an interest in paranormal adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?