Sunday, January 23, 2011

Book Review - The Anatomy of Wings

The Anatomy of Wings by Karen Foxlee

"This is the story of Elizabeth Day. I have pieced it together with my own two hands. I have made it from things I saw and things I did not see but later knew. It is made from the tatters of terrible things and the remnants of wonderful things. I have sewn it together before it fades."

Eleven year-old Jenny tries to navigate an ocean of grief following the suicide of her older sister Beth in this stunning debut novel.

Set in a small Australian mining town, The Anatomy of Wings explores love, loss, isolation and just plain how hard teenager-hood can be.

Everything about this book is gorgeous. Characterization, voice, setting, prose. I am excited, emboldened and in awe that books such as The Anatomy of Wings exist. This is a beautiful book, but very sad. Pretty heart-shattering actually. Warning on sexual situations and a bit of language. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?