Thursday, November 11, 2010

Book Review - Bright Blue Miracle

Bright Blue Miracle by Becca Wilhite

Prelude to a review:

I met Becca at a writers' workshop at UVU called The Book Academy. (My MIL Karen generously arranged and paid for my registration there. *mwah*) Isn't that cool to be able to say, "I met this writer at ___________." ? Well, I think it's cool. I've met lots of writers this year and it's been RAD.

So Becca's workshop class was called Writing With Humor, or something like that, and she talked about how to make your writing funny. She is a very funny gal herself and as endeared as I was by her presentation and her self, I decided to buy one of her books with the ten dollars I had left in my bag that day. The books were on sale, so it was quite inexpensive. Here's how it went down: I saw Becca sitting at her place during the signing and went over to talk to her. We discussed the workshop, my manuscript (which we decided is way dark compared to her stuff) and her books. I told her that I usually don't read books published specifically for the LDS market.

Becca (whispering): Just between you and me, I can write.
Lee: Okay, which book of yours should I buy.
Becca: I think you would like Bright Blue Miracle best. It's not dark, but it has some more serious themes.

So I bought the book, she signed it (personalized autograph thank you) and we talked a little more. Very nice chica. Now onto her book.

Bright Blue Miracle was delightful. I know that doesn't tell you much, but that's the word I would choose to best describe it. I can't say that I expected much, because really, what writer wouldn't tell a prospective buyer of their book "I can write". I was happily wrong in my expectations. The book isn't heavy, by my standards. It's light and joyful and full of the interesting cadence of Wilhite's style. The prose doesn't aspire to be more than it is and I'm okay with that. It felt like I was listening to a precocious teenager simply relate a story in the corner of a coffee shop, which fits the main character well. Bright Blue Miracle deals with blended families, death, emotional connection, grief and relationships. I didn't expect to react emotionally to the story, but I found myself in tears in a few parts and it was a nice surprise.

Bright Blue Miracle is a book appropriate for a child of age enough to understand and explore the complexities and pressures of high school, dating relationships and family problems. Nothing questionable, no language. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?