Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Book Review - The Sky is Everywhere


The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

"Sadness pulses out of us as we walk. I almost expect the trees to lower their branches when we pass, the stars to hand down some light. I breathe in the horsy scent of eucalyptus, the thick sugary pine, aware of each breath I take, how each one keeps me in the world a few seconds longer. I taste the sweetness of the summer air on my tongue and want to just gulp and gulp and gulp it into my body -- this living, breathing, heart-beating body of mine."

Seventeen-year old Lennie Walker's sister has passed away suddenly. Now Lennie must navigate her grief, along with the mystery of a mother that can't be found and two boys that compete for Lennie's attention.

Carol recommended this to me. The prose is exquisite. I started crying on page 84. Didn't really stop either. What a beautiful, confused tale told in a beautiful, crisp way. I am so very impressed. Did I mention the prose is exquisite?

Those of you who are sensitive to language, be warned. But I highly recommend this novel. Shar, if you haven't, read this. That's all.

3 comments:

  1. i haven't even been to the library here, but now i have to find it so i can find this book.
    or wait - i have a gift card i got for my birthday. do i need to own this? do i?

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you signing up for nanowrimo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to own this. Considering what you're working on. You should buy it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?