Friday, October 1, 2010

Book Review - Mockingjay


Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I finished the final installment in The Hunger Games trilogy yesterday. At the risk of spoiling the series for those who haven't read it yet, I will merely say that Collins left me satisfied. I stand my my original assessment that Collins knows what she's doing.

The main character in any story should always be changed in some way by the story. And Katniss is changed. Affected. Sometimes the change isn't one we would have wanted for the main character. But this is a dystopian people. Do people actually go into a dystopian hoping for a happy shiny ending?

Here's my advice: Read a dystopian like you read a Shakespearean tragedy.

I liked it. I am interested to hear other reactions. Once you've finished the series, comment and let me know what you thought.

3 comments:

  1. I liked it and i felt that Katniss's mental collapse was exactly what would happen to any 16/17 year old put in the same situations. i liked who she ended up with and felt it was a good conclusion to an amazing trilogy. But, I don't think it was the best of the series (i used "good" for a reason). The author definitely knows what she's doing, but I do wonder if in the cutting process maybe they cut some scenes with Prim and her mother? because the absolute removal of Katniss's mom from any part of her life seemed completely out of character for her. Here is this extremely giving woman who can't even visit her daughter once after it all? I don't believe it, no matter how hard it would be for her to go back to their old home. And then the person Katniss didn't end up with - I felt there should have been a little bit more of something. said? shown? i liked not knowing exactly where his life took him to the detail, because that's not important. but i needed just a bit more.

    so my thoughts. i need to get them posted on my book review blog too. thanks for getting me talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts, Shar. You're a sharp one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reeling from finishing Mockingjay in the wee small hours of the morning. I think that Collins has written a brilliant trilogy. I too am satisfied, but I agree with Shari that some important things seem to have been cut. Like the whole last chapter could be an entire new book. I am missing the growing together of two very human and broken people. It is never shown, but we know these characters and it would make sense that things just wouldn't be happy immediately. i wanted to see the healing and the tentativeness of coming back together. It was like the editor didn't want it to go over 400 pages. Some things are missing. But overall, I can make it work in my head. But I have been thinking about it non-stop for hours and hours.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?