Monday, September 27, 2010

Book Review - Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The sequel to The Hunger Games. Just as riveting. Just as creepy. There are some things that Collins does with this book that I just flat-out admire. But I can't really mention them, because then I would give the story away. Let's just say that Collins knows what she's doing.

The Hunger Games is very culturally relevant, and I find many of the things that Collins discusses to be a fascinating mirror (or even prediction) for our society. In this way, it reminds me of Feed by MT Anderson.

As a critical reader and as someone who just gets bored (and often angry) with poorly written literature, Suzanne Collins gets so many things right that I almost despair writing something as good as The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I've thought about writing a dystopian.  After reading Suzanne Collins series, I think, "Whoa. I could never do this."  But I really think that Suzann Collins' series is post-apocalyptic AND dystopian, so there.

Well done, Suzanne Collins, you've created something complex, beautiful and memorable. I can't wait to see how it all turns out for Katniss and the rest of the human race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?