Tuesday, July 6, 2010

There's Something Fishy...

The Desjardini Sailfin Tang floats in the shadow of an underwater grotto.

(I like that word. It's one of my favorites right now: grotto. Grotto-o-o-o. It's fun. Say it.)

Decorated with a striation of black and yellow stripes, the tang's flared dorsal fin creates a stunning, patterned arc along its back.

(Commas are awesome. Remember what Leia said to Han? "Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking, Nerfherder!" See how awesome commas are?)

Delicate pectoral fins maneuver the fish around rock formations. The transparent wings look too insubstantial to thrust the fish through the water, but it darts -- lightning fast -- into its cave when I approach.

(Dashes are cool too. Ask Emily Dickinson.)

The sailfin feeds on hair algae, a plant that waves through water like the mane of a mermaid.

(Similes are like tulips.)

The tang is shy, waiting to feed until no movement outside the tank can be seen.

(Here fishie, fishie.)

The newest addition to our tank is a Desjardini Sailfin Tang. His name is Archimedes.

(He's cute.)

2 comments:

  1. Striation, one of my favorite words. My husband says, "Hey look, striations" every time we go through the canyon. It's so predictable that we can almost say it right along with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever we pass yellow construction dumpsters by the "Mr. Dumpster" company I always say, "Mister Dumpster!" aloud. It's gotten to the point that my husband will sigh when he sees one. Even if I don't.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?